We believe passionately our faith is to be lived out practically in the world, working for equity, justice and peace.
One of the ways we do this is by being a partner in King’s Food Bank.
What is King’s Food Bank?
King’s Food Bank (KFB) is an independent community project founded by King’s Church, Kendal in 2012 in response to very real needs arising from the current economic climate. Many other local churches soon joined the project.
It provides households (individuals or families) in crisis situations with 3-4 days worth of nutritionally balanced, non-perishable food. Professional agencies identify households needing food boxes & refer them to KFB.
How does it work?
• Food, money & other resources are donated by church members, local people, companies & supermarkets.
• Volunteers sort donated food & assemble food boxes
• Household in need is identified by referring agency
• Volunteers hand-deliver food boxes to the household. All food boxes are given freely without agenda or condition.
How can I donate food?
It is so easy to add a single extra item to your basket at the supermarket to give to the food bank. It may make very little difference to you but could transform a neighbour’s life.
We have a food collection box at the back of church where you can give:
|Tins:||Baked Beans, Fruit, Meat, Meat Pie, Potatoes, Rice Pudding
Soup, Spaghetti, Tomatoes, Tuna, Vegetables
|Jars:||Curry / pasta sauce|
|Small packets:||Biscuits, Cereal, Choc bars, Coffee, Pasta, Rice, Sugar, Teabags|
|Cartons:||Long Life Fruit Juice, Long Life Milk|
Please do not give products:
• containing alcohol; or
• exceeding, or very close to, their sell-by / use-by dates.
KFB & Fair Trade
This church is proud to support Fairtrade and by purchasing a Fairtrade product and donating it to the Food Bank you would be serving your neighbours both locally and internationally.
We therefore encourage you to donate fairly traded goods to KFB where they are available & as you can afford them.
Fairly traded sugar, tea, coffee, biscuits, rice, pasta, chocolate bars, fruit juice & cereal are widely available.
How else do we support KFB?
• We promote KFB’s work across our church community
• We fundraise
• We regularly pray for KFB
• We help shape & direct the project via our KFB representative
• We will give part of our collection of money & food from our Harvest Festival to KFB
How else can I help?
As well as giving food, you can support KFB’s work by:
• Making a financial gift
• Volunteering your time and skills
• Making a referral if you are a professional agency
• Praying for King’s Food Bank; the people it serves & the issues which have produced this need
Liz Lockwood is the KFB representative at this church.
Please contact her if you want to help in any of these ways.
How can I find out more?
The Guardian website has articles about the recent increased need for food banks across the UK.